In Kaunertal wheelchair users and adaptive skiers can get right up close to nature
As the Kaunertal Glacier Road leads directly to the lifts and pistes, the glacier has long been popular among people with disabilities as a readily accessible ski area. During the conversion of our glacier restaurant Weißsee doors, toilets and a lift were adapted to provide accessible facilities, no matter whether you use a wheelchair or have a baby stroller. The Karlesjoch gondola also provides completely barrier-free access to the highest point on the Kaunertal Glacier, opening up a stunning panorama of the Swiss Alps from the ‘Dreiländerblick’ viewing platform at 3108 metres.
In 2013 Kauntertal was awarded the EDEN Award for its barrier-free tourism project.
The infrastructure of our ski area and our trained staff with many years of experience help make the Kaunertal Glacier a barrier-free zone, and very accessible for adaptive skiers.
Excellent adaptive ski area and training destination
- Wide natural snow slopes with guaranteed snow from October to June
- All lifts are accessible from the ground floor
- Slopes can be reached directly by car – with extra reserved accessible parking spaces at 2750 metres directly by the side of the pistes
- Kaunertal Glacier is recognised by the Tirol Tourism Board as suitable for adaptive skiers
- Guests with disabilities receive reduced rates upon presentation of an ID card demonstrating a disability of 60%, and ski for the same price as children
- Trained staff at the lifts and in the restaurants
- Barrier-free glacier restaurant with two wheelchair-accessible toilets, elevator and freeflow
- Adaptive ski course
- A low-floor ski bus available on request.
Accessible accommodation in Kaunertal
- The Hotel Weisseespitze – named after the beauty of the Ötztal Alps – provides unobstructed accessibility to all guests; it’s been one of the best providers of accessible accommodation in the Alps for years. Right down to the smallest detail, the functionality of the 4-star hotel is adapted to the needs of wheelchair users. The round-the-clock service is available to assist with everything from the accommodation through the adaptive ski course to equipment rental.
- Hotel Kirchenwirt in Feichten is another quality-tested accessible hotel. Centrally located in Feichten in the Kaunertal, it’s specially designed for the needs of wheelchair users, offering every comfort for a pleasant stay.
- House Renate in Vergötschen/Kaunertal offers holiday apartments available for 2 to 9 people as well as rooms with breakfast. The apartments and the sauna area have been completely adapted to the needs of wheelchair users./br>
You can enquire about further accessible accommodation at the Tourism Board Tiroler Oberland/Kaunertal.
New from winter 2019/20 - Falginjochbahn 3.113 m
The construction of the Falginjochbahn 3,113 meters not only improves the comfort of the ski resort, but also extends the range of barrier-free products.
As a world first, the valley and mountain station will be equipped with a Monobob Lane – private access with special flooring for mono-skiers.