Accessible skiing at the Kaunertal Glacier: Monoski for wheelchair users
Mountain freedom without restrictions.
Thanks to the Kaunertal Glacier Road, which leads directly to the slopes and lifts, the Kaunertal Glacier is a popular ski area for people with handicaps. Barrier-free gondola lifts, specially trained staff, the barrier-free accessible glacier restaurant and much more ensure that you can reach alpine heights safely and comfortably with a wheelchair or monoski.
Here you can find out everything you need to know about disability-friendly equipment on the glacier, monoskis for wheelchair users, barrier-free accommodation and more.
Honoured with the EDEN Award: barrier-free Kaunertal
If you are looking for excursion destinations and monoski offers for disabled and wheelchair users, you will find your perfect holiday destination in Tyrol’s Kaunertal! The valley was already awarded the EU’s EDEN Award in 2013 for its barrier-free tourism project.
All offers for accessible skiing at the Kaunertal Glacier at a glance:
Excellent adaptive ski area and training destination
- Wide natural snow slopes with guaranteed snow from October to June
- All lifts are accessible from the ground floor
- Slopes can be reached directly by car – with extra reserved accessible parking spaces at 2750 metres directly by the side of the pistes
- Kaunertal Glacier is recognised by the Tirol Tourism Board as suitable for adaptive skiers
- Guests with disabilities receive reduced rates upon presentation of an ID card demonstrating a disability of 60%, and ski for the same price as children
- Trained staff at the lifts and in the restaurants
- Barrier-free glacier restaurant with two wheelchair-accessible toilets, elevator and freeflow
- Adaptive ski course
- A low-floor ski bus is available on request.
Accessible accommodation in Kaunertal:
- The Hotel Weisseespitze – named after the beauty of the Ötztal Alps – provides unobstructed accessibility to all guests; it’s been one of the best providers of accessible accommodation in the Alps for years. Right down to the smallest detail, the functionality of the 4-star hotel is adapted to the needs of wheelchair users. The round-the-clock service is available to assist with everything from the accommodation through the adaptive ski course to equipment rental.
- Hotel Kirchenwirt in Feichten is another quality-tested accessible hotel. Centrally located in Feichten in the Kaunertal, it’s specially designed for the needs of wheelchair users, offering every comfort for a pleasant stay.
- House Renate in Vergötschen/Kaunertal offers holiday apartments available for 2 to 9 people as well as rooms with breakfast. The apartments and the sauna area have been completely adapted to the needs of wheelchair users.
You can enquire about further accessible accommodation at the Tourism Board Tiroler Oberland/Kaunertal .
Falginjochbahn 3,113 m
The new Falginjochbahn 3,113 m not only improves the comfort of the ski area, but also expands the range of slopes and lifts for monobob skiers.
As a world first, the valley and mountain stations will be equipped with a monobob lane – separate access with a special floor covering for monoskiers.
As a world first, the valley and mountain station will be equipped with a Monobob Lane – private access with special flooring for mono-skiers.